Friday, January 26, 2007

The Pursuit of Happyness to the Secret

I am on an oscar tour this year and I will try to watch as many of the oscar nominated films before the awards, just because. I've got Blood Diamond, Notes on A Scandal and I can now add The Pursuit of Happyness. I just saw the latter yesterday. I walked into that film just knowing I was going to get uplifted because I knew it has a happy ending..... hmmph!! OK it does but gosh for an hour and I don't how long that was one emotionally draining movie. To see what that man goes through with his child just breaks your heart and I shed many a good tear. I left the theatre depressed and not wanting to have children. Yes I know he gets the job and is a multi-millionaire but after seeing him lose his wife, sleep in a public toilet, homeless shelter, etc., I needed to see the man walk into his million dollar home, drive his fancy car, have his son in the best of the best schools not just a little blurb at the end. So I started to wonder why the film got to me so much. I think the reason the film got to me so much was because it hit a little too close to home for me. I won't even pretend to be near Mr Darden's previous situation but there were enough moments and scenes that I knew exactly what was going on through his mind, dealing with the late rent, bills, notices piling up, needing to get paid right away and when the boss asks you for that 5 bucks because they have no change but for you that 5 bucks was your meal ouch! So as I ran to catch my bus home I also realised that I didn't like the fact that I could closer associate to that part of Mr. Darden's life as opposed to the multi-million dollar aspect. Today I was supposed to watch the Last King of Scotland. I passed because I don't think I'm emotionally ready yet and opted instead to watch this movie called The Secret and I am so happy I did! In a nutshell it's about how we are all energy and our thoughts are energy and that the universal law in life is the law of attraction. I shall repeat I won't give a full breakdown of the movie because I do believe it is something that everyone should watch and a quickie summary won't do it justice. What I do want to say is it brought me out of my Happyness funk and made me realise that while I keep on wanting, wanting, wanting that is part of my problem. I live in the land of wants and the land of don't. I don't want another bill, I don't want to be late, I don't want to blow this audition and all I keep attracting is what I don't want because that's what I focus on. Yesterday night I missed the point of Happyness because if I hadn't been so immersed in my world of want and don't I would've seen a man who despite what everybody was saying around him believed in himself and dream so much so that despite being homeless, having the IRS on your back, no university degree and a single parent he was selected to a position where there was only one place to be filled and he ended up surpassing that!!! So I have decided tonight and made this promise to myself to pack my mental bags and am leaving the land of want and don't, they may try calling me every now and then and that's ok but I've emigrated and have new citizenship in the land of believe in myself and I dream it, believe it, I achieve it. I will start tonight with gratitude for all the blessings in my life (and there are many) and ask my genie the universe to grant me my wishes. Now for all of you naysayeers who find all of this just mumbo jumbo positive nonesense, all I ask you is how is that negativity, fear and self-doubt working for you?


check out the secret by going to www.thesecret.tv or you can buy a copy of the movie at the bodhi tree (for those living in los angeles)

Peace and Love

No comments: