Thursday, May 3, 2007

Habit vs. Los Angeles

habit n. A recurrent, often unconscious pattern of behavior that is acquired through frequent repetition.

During my whole re-evaluation process in regards to my stay in Los Angeles, a friend asked me a question. It was a simple question to which I am very grateful for. A quick history lesson is in order. Since the tender age of fifteen my time limit in a particular city or country has usually been around 4.5 years. As I got older when things in my life became unbearable my solution was to pack up, move to a new place and start afresh. I literally would just leave everything but what I could fit in one suitcase and go on to the next adventure! A funny thing kept happening. After the excitement of the new place wore off and I was settled in a conflict would occur in my life (usually What am I doing!?! Where am I going with my life!?! type conflict). Solution! .... Drop everything and blame the place I was living in. It's one thing if things hadn't worked out once, twice, hey even three times! But when you're on your 6th country, 3rd continent and countless cities you gotta wonder if the problem is you. So I'm thinking that maybe for a change I'll have faith and trust myself, give myself the chance to see things through. Habits are hard to break but it would be nice to enjoy travelling again just for the sake of travelling and yes I know, I owe it to myself. And the question my friend asked me, after I had vented my frustrations and how it was time to move on? " How long have you lived in L.A.?" Three guesses what the answer was.

No comments: